Saturday, July 26, 2008

Dog Days of Summer

I finally broke down and started looking for a dog. The kids have no idea because, well, that would be insane. I've pretty much consumed my entire week shuffling my kids off on various people so I could dog hunt. I've been to the same shelter 3, no maybe 4 times and animal control just as many. I've also been with 4 different people. There are big dogs and little dogs and cute dogs and down right freaky dogs. There are some perfectly lovely family pets out there but I haven't felt the "you're my dog" feeling. I've felt the "I don't know what's going to happen to you and you really need a home feeling", but that's different. Maybe I'm expecting too much but you know, I don't want to get my family in a situation with a dog we can't live with. And let's face it, this dog HAS to be interesting because I'll be blogging all about it. So it's in all of you're best interests that I wait for the right dog.

What's funny is that I have several dog names picked out already. It's like I'm five months along. What's even funnier is that I'm not going to tell you what they are because you might influence my decision or worse find my dog and steal my dog name.

No, really, I'm not telling.

There has been alot going on other than just my neurotic dog hunt. Isaac is worried about college. He was watching an episode of Drake and Josh (teen show on Disney channel) and he came into the kitchen to tell me that he didn't want to go to college because there are bullies there and maybe he'll be a teacher so he doesn't have to worry about the bullies. I told him he was really too young to worry about college, he had a good 12 to 13 years before he went (even Drake and Josh are only in high school) and that he didn't have to worry about bullies just yet. He seemed not at all appeased by this but he went back in to finish his show. He came back five minutes later and looked up at me with sad eyes and said "I'm really worried about college." (Really should have studied that family tree a little harder before we procreated.) So, I told him we would just focus on kindergarten for now and not worry. He thinks I don't understand. I know this because he looks at me like "you really don't get this do you?" I really hope there aren't any bullies in kindergarten.

The girls are getting pumped about school I think. Well, Maya's getting pumped, Eva might just be getting anxious. (Is there an in-utero anti-anxiety pill?) I picked up new backpacks and got some good deals on second-hand clothes for all of them. And I came home without a penny in my pocket. I sometimes wonder why I don't just take our checkbook and throw it out the door everytime Tim gets paid. It would probably be an improvement in our money management style.

Went to the dermatologist on Wednesday to get my funky rashes checked out. Yeah, I know, more than you wanted to know. But I was happy to say it was not a bad visit to the doctor. I of course, judge a good visit as one where I get to keep my pants on. So now you know that my funk was not in a more ah, personal place. Next week I have another doctor appointment and it won't be a "good" one. Hey,you win some, you lose some. The dermatologist took a small biopsy from my arm. He punched a little tiny chunk out and then put one stitch in. It didn't bother me at first, it didn't even hurt. But now I'd like it back. I'm not sure why - I just feel like a piece of me is missing. Probably because it is. Sure, it's a piece of funked out skin but it's my funked out skin! Maybe I need to meditate more, or just some.

I think it's obvious that I need a little furball in my life so I have something else to worry about other than my missing epidermis. Maybe I'll get two dogs and then I could just throw my credit cards out in the front yard too!

No comments: